bc3dfaf9-50c0-4b3c-bc77-21afd354c600.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Specification

Frequency Range: 29/50/143/430 MHz
Channel Capacity: 809 Channels
Channel Spacing : 2.5 /5 /6.25 /10 / 12.5 /15 /20 /25 /50 kHz
Modes of emission : F3
Antenna Impedance : 50 Ohms,unbalanced (Antenna Duplexer)
Operating Temperature Range : 13.8VDC (±15%),Negative ground
Current Consumption(Approx) :RX:0.5A(Squelched)
TX:8.0A(50/430MHZ),8.5A(29/144MHZ)
Case size:140*41.5*168 mm
Weight: 1.2kg

Sender & Receiver
Sender
output power: 50/20/10/5W(29/50/144MHZ),40/20/10/5W(430MHZ)
Modulation Type: Variable Reactance
Maximum Deviation: Better than -60dB(29MHZ: Better than -50dB)
Modulation Distortion:Less than 3%
Receiver
Circuit Type; Double-conversion super-heterodyne[/COLOR]
Intermediate Frequency: 49.95MHz/450KHz (left band) 38.85MHz/450KHz (right band)
Squelch Sensitivity:Better than 0.16μV
AF output Impedance: 4-16Ω
[COLOR=#201F1F !important]REVIEW: TYT TH-9800 Quad Band Transceiver 10M/6M/2M/70cm

I was first hesitant investing this much on a Chinese mobile radio for my car. This is a clone of the FT-8900, which is about $180 more expensive AND has a lot less capabilities. To my surprise, I am very happy with this purchase. Chinese radios has been criticized by many ham operators but little do they know that all “Japanese made” radios are actually made also in China, or parts of it at least. This is no exception. I see a well built and good quality ham radio. It does exactly what the FT-8900 does but with unlocked transmit in all 4 bands, outside the ham band. Plus, it already comes with the remote separation kit, that you have to purchase for $70 with the Yaesu. All these the FT-8900 can not do or does not have. This is a good addition to your shack if you are really objective in evaluating quality, performance, and capabilities. I own a Yaesu FT-8800 and a FT-450D but I have to admit that this is better that the FT-8900 in so many ways.
Everyone will tell you not to waste your money on 6m and 10m FM because it’s dead, totally wrong. When they open, the bands are packed. Also, a dual band radio is around $350, this radio is around $230. The audio is loud and clear. The speaker is in the main body and not the detachable control head, which may limit some installations, but there is an external speaker jack on the back. It uses a standard T power connector. The left side has all four bands while the right is 2m and 70cm only. It does have extended receive capabilities. It will do crossband repeat which is cool. There is only one antenna port so you will need to change feed lines or use a duplexer. There are no decent mobile or base antennas for quad band radios–I use the Comet GP-15 tri-band for 6m, 2m, and 70cm but don’t like it because it has high SWR spots on 50.1-50.3, 425-431, and 445-449. I program it using software (CHIRP), much easier than manually, however the TYT software is less to be desired (but it is better than manual). It only draws 8.9A, so you don’t need a monster power supply, something around 15-20A is perfect (you should not go over 50% of the rating for long term use).
I’m not in anyway affiliated with TYT nor am I selling you this product but the TYT TH-9800 is loaded with features. Over 800 alpha numeric memory channels. True automatic cross band repeat mode, twin simultaneous receive, w/separate volume & squelch controls. Multiple tuning steps, includes full keypad microphone, and remote mountable faceplate. It has a receive range: 26-33Mhz, 47-54 MHz, 110-180Mhz ( with AM Air band), 350-399Mhz, 430-512Mhz, 750-947Mhz. It transmits 50W on 2M FM , 40W 10M and UHF, with multiple lower power settings available too. CTCSS, DCS (PL & DPL), DTMF, 2 tone/5tone signaling, ANI, display brightness setting. It is PC programmable, w/ TYT’s downloadable free software or even better, the CHIRP an open source universal programmer. It just requires 12-14Vdc power , at 12A or more, and an quad band antenna if needed. The bundle includes 12Vdc power cable, mounting bracket, SO-239 antenna connector on radio, built-in cooling fan, DTMF microphone, 10 feet RJ11 separation cable, and face plate mount.
Removable face-plate and comes with separation kit (mount & cable)
The only thing I did not like about it out of the box is it is set not to transmit if the frequency is busy or has a carrier (Busy Lock). This will be frustrating and can turn off any ham operator. To add to that frustration, there is no option in the radio’s menu that can turn that off. Imagine checking into a net but you cant because you’re waiting for the repeater to drop, which rarely happens.Bottom line, you won’t be able to use it out of the box if you are going to work repeaters. This is the only thing that kills this radio and why TYT designed it as a default is beyond me. Make sure you purchase the USB programming cable and have the TYT program ready to disable that function. Programming your radio with CHIRP is so much easier and will save you a lot of time.
Manufacturer/Resellers give you a 1-year warranty. I suggest getting it from Amazon Prime because if reseller does not provide you the help you need, Amazon will take over and will provide you support or just give you full refund within the first year. This is what the Amazon agent confirmed with me before I bought it. This is a common Amazon policy for Amazon Prime sellers. This was another concern I had with unknown brands or Chinese made radios. This completely made my purchase a lot easier.
Download this (TYT-9800 2.06 Eng) to program the radio
Download this to fix the no transmit due to Busy Lock (instructions included)
NOTE: Your antivirus might prompt you a warning because the program was developed by “unknown” publisher. Its fine and I have verified it with my Norton 360.

I also found a TYT -TH9800 Yahoo Group that is very helpful in supporting each other and I recommend anyone interested in purchasing this radio or already have one to subscribe to this discussion.
TYT TH-9800 mounted in my SUV’s dashboard (Montero) with external mounted speaker

TYT TH-9800 Bundle – what you get

CORRECTION: This is a Quad Band radio with simultanous dual band operation

Watch how and where the TYT radios are made:

[/COLOR]